Radiation has been traditionally used as one of the most effective forms of treatment for tumours. But with technological advancements, new treatment methods have been devised that target the tumour aggressively and save the surrounding healthy organs from getting exposed to heavy doses of radiation. Stereotactic Radiosurgery or SRS is one such treatment. Dr. Sayan Paul, one of Kolkata’s best oncologists, has years of experience in providing SRS treatments that involve delivering maximum radiation to the tumour in a safe and effective way.
What is Stereotactic Radiosurgery
Stereotactic Radiosurgery has revolutionized cancer treatment. It can be considered a knife-less, bloodless form of treatment using the precise dose of radiation without having to cut open into the patient’s body. SRS of sites like Brain tumours is a very effective treatment modality for cure. . Stereotactic Radiosurgery is a non-invasive, image guided, precise surgery wherein 3D images of the tumour are taken before and during the procedure.
What are Its Advantages
• Image-guided approach: Allows for continuous three-dimensional imaging of the tumour during surgery
• Frameless: noinvasive frame used
• Faster treatment: High dose of radiation is delivered within minutes, and it does not take hours like traditional systems.
• Even irregularly-shaped lesions can get uniform doses of radiation per session.
• The radiation beams can be adjusted to body movements (like breathing) to constantly maintain a safe and accurate dosage.
An Array of Treatment Options withNovalisTx withexactracand Halcyon
• The Halcyon Radiation System, used by the team of oncologists led by Dr. Sayan Paul, provides a wide range of cancer radiation therapy services in Kolkata for both extracranial and cranial indications, like theBrain lungs, liver, spine, and prostate lesions.
• Malignant and benign lesions, arteriovenous malformations, functional lesions, and brain metastases can be easily treated.
• Pituitary adenomas, cavernous angiomas, meningiomas, and recurrent brain tumours are now within the treatable range.
• Patients with Parkinson’s disease and intractable seizures can benefit from this type of treatment.
The cancer specialists use the NovalisTx with Exactrac and Halcyon system, which is capable of producing more energy, thereby helping in the treatment of deep-seated tumours while keeping the adjacent tissues and organs safe. Moreover, it combines two-dimensional imaging with the cone beam CT scanning in order to define the target with 3D accuracy.