Lung cancer is quite common. Some of them spread quickly and some slowly. When lung cancer is diagnosed earlier, good options for its treatment are numerous. One of the best options is radiosurgery or Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy.
What Is SBRT?
SBRT is a cancer therapy that delivers extremely small and high doses of radiation to the cancer cells. This does not harm the healthy tissues.
Who can get SBRT treatment?
SBRT is a good option for the early stages of lung cancer, says the best lung cancer specialist in Kolkata. Since doctors nowadays use CT scanning quite often, lung cancer is diagnosed easily. This is why more people who have lung cancer get to know about their illness in the early stages and can get SBRT treatment. SBRT is an excellent option for people who are too ill for surgery due to other health conditions like lung or heart issues.
What is the difference between SBRT and Conventional Therapy?
Conventional therapy lasts up to many weeks, and SBRT can be done in way fewer sessions. SBRT treatment has shown way better results than standard radiation therapy. The chances of success for the conventional treatment is 30-40% and for SBRT, the chances are 80-90%. Even though SBRT treatment is done with a high dose of radiation, most people don’t even face many side effects.
Can SBRT be combined with other lung cancer treatments?
SBRT is ideal for early-stage lung cancer. But patients who have late-stage lung cancer, this treatment is used with a combination of chemotherapy.
What are the benefits of SBRT?
SBRT therapy is way superior to standard radiation therapy. The best lung SBRT specialist in kolkataprovides a few benefits of choosing SBRT therapy.
- Given in small and daily sessions
- Does not require anesthesia
- Has fewer side effects than standard radiation therapy
What to expect during the treatment?
The best lung SBRT specialist in kolkata says what you can expect during SBRT treatment.
- Initial tests are done to analyze the tumor.
- Doctors decide if radiation is the proper treatment for the cancer or not.
- After deciding, doctors scan and measure the area to be treated.
- After the doctor creates a radiation strategy, the treatment begins, which typically lasts for half an hour
- May require one to five sessions
- For more extended sessions, the treatment can last up to two to six weeks.
What are the chances of success of SBRT?
Chances of success for patients with small tumors are high. For people with late-stage cancer can also use this treatment to reduce the pain of the cancerous tumor.
What are the possible side effects?
Side effects don’t occur after this treatment. But we have mentioned a few of them that some patients sometimes face.
- Shortness of breath
- Radiation damage to the skin when the tumor is close to the skin
If you have any queries regarding lung cancer and SBRT treatment, you can contact one of the best lung SBRT specialist in kolkata Dr. Sayan Paul.